Monday, November 29, 2010

Shakespeare, Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet

I would just like to explain my theory about Shakespeare. I have done some such revealing in comments. I think that some of his plays are about common human flaws, and he blows the flaws out of proportion as a lesson or a warning, as well as simple, relatable entertainment. At this point in Hamlet, I don't really know enough to comment with very much certainty, but i seems to be a more serious play, whereas I see Romeo and Juliet as more of a satire. Part of my theory revolves around Shakespeare's tendency to use double meanings. To me, it makes sense that some of his plays are themselves intended as something other than what they initially seem. In the case of Romeo & Juliet, it seems a serious and tragic play, but I have a personal opinion that it is really about how ridiculous people are about some things, especially when they have little recognizeable control over their emotions, like Romeo and Juliet's "fated" love. I'm tired of writing, but please leave comments for something I've forgotten to elaborate on and I will see if I cam clarify more. I'll eventually get around to reading the doping in bicycle racing article that I mentioned earlier, and then I'll comment. I have been re-reading all the Harry Potter books, so I've been busy. ;) Oh, I feel it's necessary to mention I began reading them well before they were popular, so that magically justifies following popularity, a practice I basically detest in most instances. Besides, Harry Potter is fun to read, it is as simple as that.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I despise Shakespeare. I have to agree that all the "flaws" seem to be blown out of proportion. Say what you want to say and be done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakespeare really does dance around the point of what he has to say. Unfortunately if he didn't we wouldn't have a lot of the other great love and tradgity stories that are out today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, those tradgitees... I have never read a tradgity, but I guess there are a lot out today? Anyway, I don't think Shakespeare dances around the point any more than modern entertainment. He just uses a lot of metaphorical language. He's really quite to-the-point about a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete